Numerology and tarot are ancient arts that have fascinated people for centuries. Though often misunderstood, both offer deep insights into our inner worlds and provide guidance on our life paths.
In this post, we’ll explore the mystical powers of numerology and tarot and how they can be used for self-discovery and personal growth.
Overview of Numerology
What is Numerology?
Numerology is the study of the divine significance of numbers and how they influence our lives. It’s based on the concept that everything in the universe vibrates at its own unique frequency, including humans. Numerology helps us decode the energetic patterns in our names, birthdates, and other important numbers to better understand our characteristics, talents, challenges, and life purpose.
Numerology is built on the following core principles:
- Vibration: As mentioned, everything vibrates at a specific frequency. Numerology aims to assess those energetic vibrations.
- Reduction: In numerology, multi-digit numbers are reduced to single digits (1-9) to reveal their core vibration. This is done by adding the digits repeatedly until a single number remains.
- Life Path Number: Your life path number, calculated from your birth date, represents your overarching life purpose and journey. It offers profound insight into your innate qualities, goals, and ideal direction.
- Expression Number: Your expression number, calculated from the letters in your full name, reveals your natural talents, personality, and how you’re uniquely wired to navigate life.
- Compatibility: By comparing two people’s life path and expression numbers, numerologists can assess relationship compatibility and areas where they may face challenges.
Benefits of Numerology
Studying one’s numerology can offer many benefits, including:
- Greater self-awareness and clarity of purpose
- Insight into strengths, weaknesses, motivations, and inner needs
- Guidance on ideal career paths and relationships
- Helping overcome challenges and align with your true nature
- Deeper understanding of your life journey and soul evolution
When used wisely, numerology is a powerful tool for self-discovery and inner wisdom.
Introduction to Tarot
What is Tarot?
Tarot is a deck of 78 cards, each with its own symbolic images, used for gaining insights and predictions about past, present, and future events. Tarot reading involves interpreting the cards drawn during a spread to tap into intuitive knowledge about a querent’s life situation or question.
Though tarot originated in 15th century Europe for card games, over time, the cards took on divinatory meanings and evolved into a mystical divination tool. Today, tarot remains popular worldwide.
How Tarot Readings Work
In a tarot reading, the querent thinks deeply about their question while shuffling/cutting the cards. The reader then lays out the cards in a predetermined spread.
Each tarot card and its position in the spread has a unique meaning for the question. The reader interprets the cards holistically, tapping into their intuition, to offer guidance to the querent. The cards aim to bring clarity about the energies impacting the situation and offer advice.
Types of Spreads
There are countless tarot spreads, from simple 3-card spreads to complex matrices of dozens of cards. Some popular spreads include:
- The Celtic Cross: Considered the classic tarot spread, the Celtic Cross examines the overall situation, obstacles, opportunities, past, future, and more over 10 cards.
- Three Fates Spread: This spread looks deeply at past, present, and future influences over 9 cards.
- Horseshoe Spread: Shaped like a horseshoe, this spread reveals insight about a decision or situation over 7 cards.
- Star Spread: Perfect for answering specific questions, this simple spread uses 7 cards in the shape of a star.
Benefits of Tarot
Some key benefits of tarot include:
- Gaining clarity about confusing or complex situations
- Understanding underlying factors influencing your life
- Exploring possible future outcomes and paths forward
- Receiving validation of inner thoughts/feelings about a situation
- Enhancing intuition and developing spiritual insights
- Guidance during challenging transitions or times of uncertainty
- Strengthening your connection with your subconscious/Soul
Overall, tarot is a time-honored way to bring greater awareness to your life journey.
Connections Between Numerology and Tarot
Though numerology and tarot originated independently, there are fascinating connections between the two mystical arts:
Numeric Symbolism in Tarot
The tarot deck itself is structured around numbers and numeric principles. For example:
- The 22 Major Arcana cards align with the 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet, all having numeric values
- There are 56 Minor Arcana cards, matching the Kabbalistic Tree of Life’s 56 paths between spheres
- The four tarot suits correspond to the four cardinal points, four seasons, four elements (earth, air, fire, water)
- The Minor Arcana numbered cards (ace through 10) directly express the meaning of numbers
As such, numerology offers a complementary lens for analyzing tarot cards drawn in a reading.
Interpreting Spreads Numerologically
Beyond individual cards, the numbers and patterns within the spread as a whole can offer additional insight. Numerology reveals the meta-energies at play in the situation.
For example, a spread containing many 8s may signal upcoming abundance, while a predominance of 5s can indicate instability or the need for adaption. Master numbers like 11 and 22offer messages about significant new beginnings and partnerships, respectively.
Personal Numbers in Readings
The querent’s core numbers in numerology (life path, expression, etc.) also influence the interpretation of a tarot reading. The cards drawn will tailor their message to the energetic properties in the person’s numerology makeup.
In this way, numerology adds a deeper layer of meaning to the guidance offered by the tarot cards. Their messages will resonate differently according to the person asking the question.
Integrative Divination Approach
Used together, numerology and tarot offer an integrative approach to self-understanding through the divine lens. Numerology assesses the energetic patterns of one’s existence, while tarot provides symbolic guidance on utilizing those energies.
The inner wisdom and personal truth revealed through this mystical symbiosis can be profoundly life changing.
Numerology and tarot provide two unique yet interconnected gateways for exploring your inner landscape at a soul level. While numerology analyzes the codes of energy within names and dates, tarot offers symbolic mirrors into life’s nonlinear mysteries.
Used with focus and positive intention, these timeless esoteric arts awaken self-knowledge, higher wisdom, and gratitude for life’s boundless opportunities for growth. Our destiny is written in the stars and numbers—we need only learn how to read the signs.
Hansen, Mark D. “The Metaphysics of Tarot.” Modern Esoteric, 2015.
King, Teresa C. “Numerology for Self Mastery.” DragonRising, 2011.
Nguyen, Theresa. “Tarot Spreads for Beginners.” Fair Winds Press, 2021.
Parsons, Katrina W. “A Complete Guide to Numerology.” Dodona Books, 2009.
Pollack, Rachel. “78 Degrees of Wisdom.” Weiser Books, 1997.
Hi there, I’m Mallory Miller, a proud Florida woman living and loving life in the Sunshine State with my husband of 50 years, Mike. I spent my career in journalism and public relations, uncovering stories and promoting causes close to my heart. Now, I’ve redirected my energy towards our joint venture: a website where we share our candid experiences and insights on the triumphs and challenges of senior living.
I believe in authenticity and strive to bring this to our audience through our site. The golden years should be just that – golden, and I’m committed to shedding light on the reality of it all: the beautiful, the difficult, and everything in between. From Jacksonville, where I was born and raised, to Sarasota, where we now reside, I aim to bring a slice of Florida and its vibrant senior life to our readers across the globe.