Determining the current astrological season can seem complicated at first, but with a basic understanding of the zodiac and key dates, it’s easy to figure out!
Here’s a comprehensive guide to identifying astrological seasons:
The Basics of Astrological Seasons
In astrology, the year is divided into 12 zodiac signs, each associated with 30° of the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the path the sun travels across the celestial sphere over the course of a year. As the sun moves through the zodiac, its position determines the current astrological season.
There are four major astrological seasons, each about three months long:
- Aries Season (March 21 – April 19)
- Taurus Season (April 20 – May 20)
- Gemini Season (May 21 – June 20)
- Cancer Season (June 21 – July 22)
- Leo Season (July 23 – August 22)
- Virgo Season (August 23 – September 22)
- Libra Season (September 23 – October 22)
- Scorpio Season (October 23 – November 21)
- Sagittarius Season (November 22 – December 21)
- Capricorn Season (December 22 – January 19)
- Aquarius Season (January 20 – February 18)
- Pisces Season (February 19 – March 20)
The exact dates may vary slightly from year to year.
Checking a Calendar
The easiest way to determine the current astrological season is to check an astrological calendar. Whether online or in print, these calendars clearly mark the 12 zodiac signs and date ranges for each season.
For example, today is October 23, 2023. Checking an astrological calendar shows that the sun is currently in the sign of Scorpio. So it’s Scorpio season!
Many astrology websites and apps include calendars you can reference. There are also astrology calendars available for purchase online or at bookstores.
Understanding Key Dates
If you understand the key dates when seasons start, you can figure out the current one without a calendar:
- Aries season begins on the spring equinox, around March 21. This marks the start of spring in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Taurus season begins on April 20.
- Gemini season begins on May 21.
- Cancer season begins on the summer solstice, around June 21. This is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Leo season begins on July 23.
- Virgo season begins on August 23.
- Libra season begins on the autumnal equinox, around September 23. This marks the start of fall in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Scorpio season begins on October 23.
- Sagittarius season begins on November 22.
- Capricorn season begins on the winter solstice, around December 21. This is the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Aquarius season begins on January 20.
- Pisces season begins on February 19.
Memorizing or writing down these key dates can help you quickly determine the current astrological season.
Consulting Astrological Apps
There are many fantastic astrology apps available for smartphones that can tell you the current astrological season. Apps like Co–Star, Sanctuary, The Pattern, and Time Passages all include this information.
Most astrology apps require you to input your birth date, time, and location to generate a natal chart. Once your natal chart is set up, the app can provide detailed current and future astrological information tied to your chart. Checking the app on a daily basis makes it easy to stay on top of astrological seasons.
Connecting It to Your Natal Chart
If you have your natal birth chart, you can cross-reference the current astrological season with any important planet movements happening in your chart.
For example, your natal Sun is located in Scorpio. When the Sun moves into Scorpio season each year, it activates and highlights the Scorpio area of your chart. You may notice themes associated with your Scorpio Sun becoming more prominent during this time.
Tracking astrological seasons alongside your natal chart allows you to understand how broader cosmic events impact you personally.
Determining current astrological seasons is straightforward once you know what to look for:
- Consult an astrological calendar
- Memorize the key dates for each season start
- Use astrological apps tied to your natal chart
- Connect the current season to your natal chart
With this knowledge in hand, you’ll always know what magnificent astrological energy we’re currently swimming in.
Now that you know the basics of identifying astrological seasons, here are some suggestions for delving deeper:
- Learn about the history and meaning of each zodiac sign. This will help you understand the significance of different seasons.
- Study the dates when planets move into retrograde. These also shape the astrological backdrop.
- Follow astrologers online or in books and observe how they track seasons.
- Notice how celestial events like eclipses, meteor showers, or comet sightings impact the vibe of each season.
- Observe seasonal shifts in your own mood, energy, and experiences. Keep an astro journal!
- Download a natal chart app to get personalized astrology insights all year long.
- Sign up for a monthly astrology newsletter or podcast to stay on top of current happenings.
The celestial skies contain infinite wisdom! Hone your astrological awareness to align your life with the rhythms of the cosmos.
Here are some recommended resources for diving deeper into astrological seasons:
- The Only Astrology Book You’ll Ever Need by Joanna Martine Woolfolk
- Astrology for Real Relationships by Jessica Lanyadoo
- Astrology for Happiness and Success by Mecca Woods
- The AstroTwins’ 2022 Horoscope by Tali and Ophira Edut
- Four Seasons of Mojo by Stephanie Rose Bird
- Moonology by Yasmin Boland
- Co–Star app (costarastrology.com)
- Time Passages app (timepassagesapps.com)
- Astrology Hub online education (astrologyhub.com)
- The Astrology Podcast (theastrologypodcast.com)
Hi there, I’m Mallory Miller, a proud Florida woman living and loving life in the Sunshine State with my husband of 50 years, Mike. I spent my career in journalism and public relations, uncovering stories and promoting causes close to my heart. Now, I’ve redirected my energy towards our joint venture: a website where we share our candid experiences and insights on the triumphs and challenges of senior living.
I believe in authenticity and strive to bring this to our audience through our site. The golden years should be just that – golden, and I’m committed to shedding light on the reality of it all: the beautiful, the difficult, and everything in between. From Jacksonville, where I was born and raised, to Sarasota, where we now reside, I aim to bring a slice of Florida and its vibrant senior life to our readers across the globe.